The Shoe House Hellam PA
The Shoe House, built in 1948, was by far “Colonel” Mahlon N. Haines’ most outlandish advertising gimmick. It is a wood frame structure covered with wire lath and coated with a cement stucco. It measures 48 ft. in length, 17 ft. in width at the widest part and 25 ft. in height. The interior consists of five different levels and contains three bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen and living room.
This giant structural advertisement was originally used as a guest house. In the first year after its completion, elderly couples were invited to stay for a weekend and live like “kings and queens” at Haines’ expense.
IF you go:
Summer Hours – June, July & August Wednesday through Sunday – 11:00 – 5:00
Fall Hours – September & October Saturday & Sunday – 11:00 – 5:00
Winter & Spring – November through MaysHours are by appointment
They will also schedule group tours.
- Guided tours of the Haines Shoe House
- Picnic tables for your enjoyment
- Exciting Hershey’s Hand-Dipped Ice Creamalong with ice cream sandwiches, popsicles, fudjos, and other ice cream novelties. We also have beverages and snacks.
- Shoe House Gift Shop
- Independently contracted book on the Shoe
- Special rates for pre-booked buses or group tours